Monday, February 8, 2010

I'm on the Wagon! No TV for 30 days!

 

"If you don't have time to read, you don't have the time (or the tools) to write. Simple as that."    
            ~ Stephen King



I just got finished reading Stephen King's On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft.  No doubt this was a great book for writers and believe or not, this is the very first book of Stephen King's that I've read!  And believe me, it has changed the way I write. I have to tell everyone out there who is into writing to BUY this book!  I love, love, loved this book!

I love to read but, like writing, however, I just have such a hard time making myself do it!  Reading makes me sleepy, no matter HOW good the story. Hell, I have friends that CAN’T go to sleep because a book is so good, they can’t put it down. But, not me. A few pages in.....and its GOODNIGHT, IRENE!  

Zzzzzzzzzz!

Case and point: My friend Denise gave me the 4-book series of   I’ve had it for 1.5 YEARS and I’ve only gotten halfway through the 2nd book, "New Moon." How pathetic is THAT? I think Denise said she read the whole series in a matter of days.

DAYS!

My friend, Becky, is the same way. My brother, who used to date her, would say she ATE books for lunch – that’s how quickly she would go through a book. Incredible.

Another prolific reader is DC Dude - he's like my own personal librarian!  We've been keeping in touch and he’s been kind enough to suggest books, which he believes will help me with my writing.  (My very own little cheerleader.) I’ve only gotten through ONE of those books, The War of Art: Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles but I’m proud to say that I’ve started re-reading it......and I’m half way through it already.

HA! Becky - you read that right?  I'm halfway through THE SAME book for the SECOND time!  Woohoo!

So, I had an idea. I’m not going to watch TV for 30 days in hopes that I would spend more time reading and writing.



While getting dinner ready for Super Bowl Sunday, I leaned on the kitchen counter and told Beth my idea.

“Great,” she says, “and while you’re at it, why don’t you stay off of the dating sites as well!”

Great idea! Oh, wait….ya…sure, Beth! Easy for you to say, as you curl up next to your boyfriend tonight!  

*DING!*

So, yes.  Why not?  I can do both. Regardless, if it’s Match.com or PlentyofFish – they are both addicting. Distracting! You know, getting “fan” mail…cruising the pictures, and reading the profiles.  Oh, God - those profiles!  The amount of people who don't know the difference between "their" and "there" is astounding!  I consider it to be free entertainment in my eyes. But, at the same time……so incredibly disappointing.

*SIGH*

“Why don’t you do like a Julie & Julia and blog about your 30 days?” Beth adds.

BRILLIANT!  Simply BRILLIANT!!  And, of course, I'm always up for a challenge - 30 days, and write about it!

Wish me luck!

(Again, here are the links to the books I have read - again, I HIGHLY recommend them!!!!









1 comment: