Sunday, September 26, 2010

When It Rains, It Pours!

Here’s something shocking!  I’m back on Match from Hell again, and off Plenty of White Trash for a few weeks now. I had taken a peak at the new people on there, and decided the caliber of men to choose from was much better than Plenty of Fish.  So, I signed up for Match.com for three months, updated my pictures - but I did cheat a little with re-writing my profile.  I had a hard time writing a description about myself and decided to copy what http://www.ellemag.com/ has in their astrology section for a description of a Cancer woman.  (That would be me.)

So far, I’ve received really good feed-back….I think it’s because the astrology description of me shows a softer side of me.  Anyway, it reads like this:


--------------------------------------------------------------

About me:
My grandmother said I needed to get serious about finding someone.... I thought I was!  For me, it's just been difficult finding someone who shares the same New England values, as I grew up with.

I take astrology with a grain of salt, but I couldn't resist posting this Cancer description I read recently. I'm certain this is how my family and friends would describe me, so please don't judge a book by its cover.....
Compassionate Cancer, your nurturing spirit is like a welcome-home embrace, feathery as a goose-down blanket, and stable as a pillar in the Roman Coliseum. You’re the Zodiac's Mother Goddess - ruler of the nest. Playing caretaker comes as naturally to you as breathing; not that you would bless just anyone with your maternal gifts! Over time, your shell hardens as you learn to protect your soft underbelly from harsh outside influences, like callous, careless people who don't respect the sanctity of tender emotions. All applicants desiring your trust must prove their merit and valor. You'd rather have three amazing friends than 50 casual acquaintances. For you, intimacy is the be-all, end-all—even if it takes you eons to get to that stage.
Female friends are your lifeblood, as the spirit of sisterhood blazes fiercely within you. (No doubt there!) Unfortunately, your trust issues can limit you from venturing into the world. At some point, you must decide to take a risk; otherwise life becomes dull and decidedly limited. (My life is never dull.)

Because you’re ruled by the emotional moon (as well as being a highly sensitive water sign), your feelings wax and wane without explanation.

Romantically, your standards can be breathtakingly high you weather long bouts of celibacy waiting for "The One" to reveal himself. Fortunately, your destiny is not to be alone. That family-oriented prince is a stone's throw away waiting for you to lower the drawbridge so he can gallop in without a stinging rejection....you can be intimidating, believe it or not.

So, that's me in a nutshell. I'm looking for someone who is more "New England" and less "Jersey Shore."

Last read: National Geographic, Vanity Fair and Newsweek….cover-to-cover.

My pets: I just had to put down my little dog of 12 years. It killed me. She was the sweetest thing in the world. I saved her from a life of dread and disease, and in return she gave me unconditional love. She couldn’t “fetch,” but she knew how to roll over!

My ethnicity: I’m Irish, Scottish and English so you could say that I’m a little sun-challenged! I grew up in New England – I love NYC, but my heart is in the country – and so am I just about every weekend.

My religion: My spirituality is a big part of my life, but I do it quietly. It’s between me and God and no one else. Structured religion has its place, but it’s not for me. (Bible thumpers need not apply.)

Favorite things: Flannel sheets, Ray LaMontange, Salsa dancing, red wine, cotton, NPR, snow storms, spinning, horses, leather, cashmere, a great conversations, a dinner party at a friend’s house, Chris Botti, coffee, Fenway Park, NOVA, documentaries
------------------------------------------------------------
So far, so good. As usual, I’ve had a lot of response, but this time there has actually been some decent people that I would consider meeting. Right now we have four contestants – there was five, but he ended up to be “That Guy.”

*laughing*

I’m getting better at this now! I’m reading the signs as soon as they appear, and recognize a red flag when I see one.

A red flag, as Beth and I have discussed over and over, is so obvious, IF YOU CHOOSE TO SEE IT.  We, as women, always want to see the good in men, and we are prone to making excuses for them.

"That Guy” is elusive, (I'll be blogging about him later) which is never a good sign. EVER. Being elusive, means he HAS to be hiding something…..and I don’t care WHAT it is he’s hiding, be it that he doesn’t want his friends to see him up on a dating website, or he doesn’t have any pictures, or whatever…..I don’t care. It’s a red-flag nonetheless!  And that 5th guy was as elusive as they come.  So, he got the boot within days of first contact.

I'm finally came up with nicknames so that y’all can remember these guys – after all, you won’t remember Terence, James, Phil, John and Tom. But you will remember Interior Designer Dude, Landscape Dude, Conan O’Brien and Swedish Dude.

(Disclaimer:  Real names and identities will always be held confidential....until someone acts like a ding-dong, and then, in my opinion, they deserve to have the whole world see what "That Guy" looks like.)

Landscape Dude: Lives down by the shore. He’s 6’3, never been married no kids.  He used to be a Wall Street guy until he was 33, lost everything and now is happily running his own landscape/design business. Has one dog named, Roxy, 10 months, who I think I just might have to steal from him!   =======>  Roxy!

Swedish Dude: Lives in NYC, 39 years old, 6'3". Not sure what he does for a living but he writes me these amazing well-put together, thoughtful emails. That was definitely the clincher for me. Maybe that goes along with the fact he has his PhD. He’s never been married, no kids, well-traveled, dirty blond hair with blue eyes, and looks great in aviator sunglasses!

Conan O’Brien: I don’t know much about him other than this is my neighbor’s friend. My neighbor, John, refers to him as his “other son” and said he resembles Conan O’Brien and is Irish-Catholic. He couldn’t say enough good things about him and really wanted me to meet him, so I gave him my phone number.  It wasn't until AFTER I gave him my cell number that John tells me this guy is divorced and has three kids. Three kids…as in 1, 2, 3…….that’s a lot!

Interior Designer Guy: Irish/English. White/gray hair, blue eyes, divorced, 6’2” and has a 6-year old daughter.  He's 52, (I know, a little older for once!) stylish and looks MUCH younger than his age. (It must be those Irish genes.) Lives a half hour north of NYC (in the country - yay!) and has a successful interior design company. He also writes really well; his first initial email is what caught my attention.  He’s a really good looking guy, almost like he belongs in a Banana Republic or J Crew catalog.

Here I was, all last week, trying to finish up, “DC Dude: Just When I Gave Up...He Shows Up! and I was getting inundated with emails from Match.com. When it rains, it pours!  I didn’t realize that dating was going to be so time consuming! I’ve had such a dry spell for such a long time, but clearly, my stock is up now because those emails just keep coming in.

I need a secretary to schedule dates and make sure I reply to emails!

Wish me luck!

~Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment