Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Date with Landscape Guy

I meet up with Landscape Guy for lunch on Sunday.  We had spoken on the phone a few times during the week and we decided to meet.  (I like to get the meeting part out of the way - no need to spend endless hours talking on the phone if the chemistry isn't going to be there in person.)

On the phone, I noticed that he was a conversation hog.  Told me his whole life story, which was interesting, but it felt weird that he laid out everything for me on the first conversation.  He definitely like to talk - a whole lot, and it was all about him. He had started out on Wall Street, made his first million by 30 years old, and then lost it and got sued.......then started all over with a landscaping business, knowing nothing about the business to begin with.  He just started from scratch - and 8 years later, he has his own successful company.

Great!  But he didn't ask one question about me.  I think it's save to say that that would be a strike #1. Nobody likes a conversation hog!


So on Sunday, we met for lunch at a sushi restaurant. I started the conversation out with simple questions about flowers and roses, and what was his secret to growing big Impatiens?  "Water," he says, "lots of water."  

Somehow, we got on the subject of his family.  Both parents had died the year before, one right after the other.  Very sad.  And then he goes on to tell me both of his sisters are drug addicts, partly because they had a hard upbringing - their father was apparently abusive in some regard (I didn't have the heart to ask how he was abusive).  Basically, everyone in his family (5 kids) were a screw up.  His oldest sister (who was a drug-addict) had just moved to Virginia with her 1-year old baby and her drug-addict boyfriend.  They moved there because the cost of living is less there....but didn't realize that there would also be a shortage of jobs, thus the low cost of living? 

I didn't realize that there would be three of us at lunch: me, Landscape Guy and his PHONE. (Strike #2.)  He  as he is busy returning texts he explains that his oldest sister had just texted him for yesterday for money, and that he and his younger sister (who was an alcoholic) were going back and forth via text wondering if they should give their sister money for the baby......etc.  All this was happening, WHILE we were at lunch.  Even when he wasn't texting, he still couldn't stop talking about the situation, nor could he ignore is phone long enough to enjoy a nice lunch with a nice girl.

By the end of the date, I had a headache, and I was depressed.  Yuck.  Strike #3.

I did get to meet his dog, Roxy, and soon after playing with her in his yard, I realized that not only is his life a mess, but his dog will be a mess as well.  He just let his 10 month old Pit/Terrier run amok.   No discipline, no training - he just thought it was funny how she just loved to play all the time and the dog had the run of the house.   And at 11 months old, he still had not made the time to get the dog neutered yet.

So, nice enough guy - but definitely not for me.  He doesn't need a girlfriend - he needs a therapist.  My roommate, Anthony, said that Landscape Guy probably talked too much because he was nervous.  But, I know nervous chatter, and that wasn't it!  Dude needs a therapist!

You know you had a bad date when you are more than happy to leave! 

Needless to say, there will not be a second date.

NEXT!

~Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment