Monday, October 5, 2009

You Show Me Yours, I'll Show You Mine

I...really...hate...dating.  

Seriously!  For those of you who think us single girls have it made, because we can date whomever we want, whenever we want, you really need to check out the selection of men we have to choose from.

Sure, there are plenty of guys to "hook-up" with, but who wants that in this day and age of Herpes and HIV?  I sometimes think that I'm the only person who is aware of the STD statistics out there, and trust me, it ain't pretty. We all think that we are safe by using condoms, but not in the case of...

*Insert spooky music here*

Herpes.

Yes, I said H-E-R-P-E-S.....you know that nasty gift that keeps on giving? Who wants that?  

Statistics show that one 1 out of every 4 or 1 out of every 5 people, who get tested, have Herpes and 90% show no symptoms.  

Herpes is a viral, skin-to-skin disease, so even if you are wearing a condom, and he has an outbreak on his groin somewhere, you are going to be S.O.L. And, do you really think the guy at the bar that you just picked up, and who knows he's about to get laid, is really going to care enough about you to tell you that he has Herpes?

Nope!

And, I'm sorry to say this but, I feel guys are clearly oblivious to these facts, or just don't care, because it's on a rare occasion that I meet a guy who tells me he gets routinely tested. 

Rarely!

Women, on the other hand, see their gynecologist once a year for the annual pap smear.  Personally, I also ask to be tested for HIV and Herpes just to play it safe, because I want to enter into my next relationship with a clear conscience, and with no worries.

I have a girlfriend who was in a relationship with a guy for a whole entire year before he discovered he had Herpes.  He had the symptoms, but thought it was just ingrown hairs, and thought nothing of it.  Thankfully, she tested negative.

Then, there was the guy I dated, who's ex-wife had Herpes.  They had been together for ten years, but he was certain he didn't have it because he had never shown any signs or symptoms, and assured me they were always careful.

Really?  You know how this story is going to end...

Trust me, after I picked my jaw up off the ground, I made him get tested, and guess what?  He was positive and, unfortunately, it ended our relationship. Listen, it's not that I couldn't get past the fact that he had Herpes, because I really did like him; it's that I couldn't get past the idea that he was so arrogant and ignorant to think he was immune, even though they were having unprotected sex - all this coming from a smart, educated, successful man!

The last time I was at the gynecologist, my doctor said all my tests came back negative. I asked if I could have that in writing. She wrote out all the STD's out on her RX paper, with "negative" next to each one and signed it.  Believe me, I had that sucker laminated that very day, put it in my purse, and it's been there ever since.  So there, I'm proud to say that I'm freaking certified!!

Wouldn't it be great if that was the norm?  Carrying around your certification...and before we have sex I say,"You show me yours, I'll show you mine."


2 comments:

  1. Red:

    Before I ask why you were dating a married man (did I read that right? Or did you mean ex-wife?) let me just say that not all guys are like this, and I hate when I get dumped in there with the rest of the trash. The nice guys are out there. I was one of them before I met my wife, and I can say that I practiced safe sex, and got tested before entering into that stage of a new relationship just to make sure my partners were safe. These days it just makes sense, as you are right, there are way too many STDs out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keith:

    Correction has been made from "wife" to "ex-wife." And yes, I'm generalizing, but unfortunately those types of guys I have describe are the ones who have crossed my path. Hopefully, that will all change.

    Thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete